The Association of Real Estate Funds (AREF) has recognised the leading long-term performers and notable contributors to the association, at its Annual Awards Dinner, held on Wednesday 26th September. The awards dinner, held at the Dorchester Hotel, was attended by over 450 members of the property fund and real estate industry.
The awards, now in their eighth year, have four categories. There were two awards based on consistent long-term performance*. These were followed by awards for notable contributors to the associations work over the last year in making the real estate funds industry better for all stakeholders.
The 2018 awards were presented to:
5-year, risk-adjusted, absolute return
- Winner - L&G’s LPI (limited price inflation) Income Property Fund (rank 1/44)
- Runners-up - M&G Secured Property Income Fund (2/44) and Mayfair Capital Property Income Trust (3/44)
5-year, risk-adjusted, relative return
- Winner - L&G’s Industrial Property Investment Fund (rank 1/44)
- Runners-up - AEW UK Core Property Fund (2/44) and Schroder UK Real Estate Fund (3/44)
Outstanding Individual Contribution
This year we have two:
- Melville Rodrigues from Charles Russell Speechlys – For all his help on Public Affairs Committee including MIFID II and the AIFMD Survey as well as carrying out and enhancing the self-certification audit for 2018.
- Will Chetwood of Aviva Investors – For chairing the Tax Committee for 8 years and leading it through some significant achievements, particularly the PAIF regime and SDLT seeding relief.
AREF Affiliate of the Year
- Winner - Brown Jacobson for being the first legal firm, on a pro-bono basis, to carry out the audit checks on the fund members’ self-certification to AREF’s Code of Practice for 2017.
*The 5 Year Risk-Adjusted Absolute Return Award is given to the fund that has delivered investors the largest consistent absolute return over the five years to June 2018, based on quarterly data of the 44 funds within the long-standing AREF/IPD UK Quarterly Property Fund Index. The 5 Year Risk-Adjusted Relative Return Award is then given to the fund that delivered investors the largest consistent relative return based on that quarterly index.
Deborah Lloyd, AREF Chairman, said: “Over the last year AREF has been very busy on several fronts including charting the effects of Brexit, engaging with HM Treasury on CGT changes and the launch of our Quality Mark, which helps investors differentiate property funds that have signed up to our Code of Practice. At the same time, our awards recognise those individuals and businesses, amongst the wealth of talent in our industry, who have made a significant contribution to the industry and highlight the funds which excelled in delivering consistent returns for investors.”
Notes to Editors:
Annual dinner & award sponsors:
Gold sponsor, Aztec Group; Silver sponsor: RBC Investor & Treasury Services.
The purpose, selection criteria and process for the awards can be found on the AREF website: http://www.aref.org.uk/www.aref.org.uk/aref_annual_awards
For more information please contact:
+44 (0)7867 796259
About The Association of Real Estate Funds (AREF):
The Association of Real Estate Funds (AREF) is the body that represents the interests of its fund managers, those firms that advise and support them, and the end customers that invest in our member funds. AREF represents over 60 funds with more than £72bn in AUM.
We are recognised by policy makers, regulators, tax authorities and other official organisations as the leading spokesperson for real estate funds and therefore have the ability to influence the way our industry evolves, to the benefit of all our stakeholders.
Investors and their advisers are aware of the high standards our members adhere to, both in corporate governance and transparency, therefore enabling us to promote their confidence when they invest in real estate.