Please note the date and venue has changed for this event due to popular demand. The event will now be held on Thursday 14th November at BlackRock's offices.
We are delighted to invite you to a seminar on Social Impact investing, run by the AREF ESG & Social Impact Investing Committee, in association with the Investment Property Forum. This is the second in a series of events on Social Impact Investing, this event is focused on Social Impact Investing from the investors view point. The first event was a breakfast meeting in May, and the third event will be held early in 2020 and will focus on Social Impact Investing for Real Estate Funds from a fund managers point of view.
Social impact investments: definition, measurement and risk challenges. How should our real estate sector address the challenges?
Manager strategies are increasingly targeting social outcomes as well as financial outcomes – driven by shortages of affordable housing, health and long-term care as well as other infrastructure supply factors. This is a trend also driven by UK pension funds and other institutional – reputation sensitive and risk averse - investors focusing on an emerging Social Impact Investment (SII) sector. Investors have to address a lack of consensus on how social impact should be defined and measured as well as overcome political, reputation and other risks associated with SIIs.
Confirmed speakers/ panel members
- Chair – Melville Rodrigues, Partner, Charles Russell Speechlys
- John Gray, Newham LBC representative on London CIV & Secretary, UNISON Housing Association
- James Giles, Pensions Investment & Risk Manager, Co-operative Group
- Anna Shiel, Board member & Head of Origination, Investment Team, Big Society Capital
- Peter Hobbs, Managing Director & Head of Private Markets, BFinance
Our panel members are representatives from leading UK investors and consultants in the SII real estate sector. They will share their experiences of defining and measuring social impact, overcoming risks associated with SIIs and their approach to manager selection including:
- Impact washing;
- Different approaches adopted by a corporate pension scheme and a public authority pension scheme;
- The effect of LGPS Pooling in terms of SIIs;
- Pension trustee fiduciary obligations with SII UK real estate projects; and
- Appropriate SII conduits: for example, fund, separate account or direct commitments.
Thursday 14th November 2019
08.30 Registration & breakfast
09.00 Event start
09.25 Panel discussion
09.45 Coffee and networking
Venue: BlackRock, Drapers Gardens, 12 Throgmorton Avenue, London EC2N 2DL
This event is FREE and open to AREF Fund, Affiliate, Associate, Investor Members as as well as Non-Executive/ Independent Directors of fund boards and oversight committees. Members of the AREF FutureGen Network are also very welcome.
This event is now full with waiting list. If you or your colleagues wish to attend, please RSVP by clicking here.
Proudly sponsored by: