A high level summary of what's being discussed in recent committee meetings:
- The Committee published their 5 Year Roadmap, setting out the sustainability features set to impact Real Estate before 2025. Click here to read more.
- The Committee are working on their next event, hopefully for September 2021, on the topic of 'TCFD'.
- The Committee are working closely with the Investor Committee and Corporate Governance Committee to include ESG & Impact Investing requirements in the Code of Practice.
- The Committee are liaising with the Investor Committee and Research & Information Committee on adding additional ESG & impact investing metrics to the AREF Questionnaire and Property Fund Vision.
- The Committee liaise with AREF’s Public Affairs Committee on ESG & impact investing policy and legislative changes AREF should be monitoring and responding to where necessary.
- The Committee will shortly be posting the GRESB analysis for 2020, link.
- The Committee contributed to The IA’s Responsible Investment Framework Final Report which was published in November 2019 and will continue to liaise with The IA on their Responsible Investment Framework.
- The Committee, with the AREF Tax Committee, are considering whether they should lobby government for tax breaks to promote sustainability.
- Members of the Committee and the Public Policy Committee assisted in AREF’s response to the ESA’s SFDR RTS Consultation.
If you have any event or project ideas or specific concerns regarding ESG that you would like raised at a future meeting, please contact Katie Mitzschke (by emailing email@example.com).
Short Term Objectives
- Review and update ESG in AREF Code of Practice.
- Investigate TCFD reporting once it was clear what was required in 2020.
- Consider if an AREF ESG label was required – In conjunction with The IA’s work on a UK ESG label.
Long Term Objectives
- Update AREF Questionnaires in relation to ESG and impact investing.
- Educate AREF members on ESG and impact investing.
- Ensure investment funds have been considered in any changes to legislation in relation to ESG and impact investing.
- Influence other Committees work when relevant.
Next meeting: October 2021
View more on the committee here.